Thread: Mirage PHEV/Electric?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage PHEV/Electric?

I saw this article and it mentioned something I thought about for a while: A Mirage variant with a PHEV! Though I really thought about is a fully electric one:
    https://carbuzz.com/news/mitsubishis...-easy-solution

What I like about the Mirage is it's fuel efficiency. It is still the most fuel efficient non-hybrid in the U.S., so I am surprised the article says,

" The Mitsubishi Outlander midsize SUV has been Europe's best-selling PHEV. Plans have already been set for a redesigned Outlander to go on sale in Europe later this year.

Despite the Outlander's success, the only other popular vehicle Mitsubishi sells in Europe is the Mirage subcompact hatchback. However, its design and engine technology date back to 2012 and future fuel emissions regulations threaten its existence."
    Though that is for the European market, where regulations are more stringent. That said, it would be ironic that such a fuel efficient car would be cut because it doesn't meet regulations, when many more gas non-hybrids appear much worse on emissions, like in the U.S. I am not sure why the best CVT from the Mirages' 2014-Present is considered dated (i don't think it had three cylinders in the 2012 engine).

An electric Mirage would compete with a Mini-E Cooper.
    I think the price point wont make sense since many more are buying the Mirage for price and cost of maintenance. But eventually, having a car without oil changes could become less costly to maintain, when the cost of the battery becomes less than the cumulative cost of oil changes and oil maintenance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to highwire For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-03-2020)