Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
For those of you that really know cars, does the Mirage share a manual transmission with anything listed above?
There has been discussion about this in past conversations but no leads were presented that indicated the Mitsubishi FM5DB 5-speed manual transmission is found in any other model motor vehicle. Figure the odds of that happening - that little transmission is just for our favorite little car.

The Mirage is a world car & manual models of it exist all over the world.
I know - right?

I am interested enough to ask Redline about this.
I think this is a great idea. Daox is thinking along those lines as well:

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Anyways, I post this info because I am thinking about using it in the Mirage. I have contacted Blackstone Labs, a third party oil analysis company. I've asked them how they recommend I proceed with testing this oil with minimal risk to my transmission. I've used them many times in the past for engine oil analysis and they're very helpful.
So, there's at least three outside parties here we can refer to for guidance: Mitsubishi, Phillips 66 Red Line Oil, and Blackstone Labs. Mitsubishi has already stated their guidelines, and I posted their requirements a few posts back. Daox is going to reach out to Blackstone Labs. What questions can we pose to Red Line Oils about their suitability?

Red Line Oil has an FAQ page, but it doesn't go into much detail that can help us here.

I have a suspicion that there may be an oversight of some sort. I suspect that Red Line Oil hasn't completed their product compatibility for the Mirage, and here's why. Red Line Oil's Find Products For My Vehicle page lists motor oil, gear oil, fuel system cleaner and coolant additive as compatible with the 2014 & 2015 Mirage. However, they only list fuel system cleaner and coolant additive for the 2017 - no motor or gear oil. And as of today, they don't yet list the 2018.

I am not bashing Redline or telling others what to use. It's just a red flag to me.
Yep. I totally get that. I also see it from the perspective that others reading this who aren't as knowledgeable about these things, yet want to 'modify' or 'upgrade' their car might cause significant damage. I think it's good and healthy to offer an opposing opinion. It's not like this is a private forum, and it's not a personal attack as far as I see it.

In the end, it's (your/their) car, so do what (you/they) want.

So, what questions can we post to Red Line Oil about their products and their suitability to our application?

1. What are the hazards of using this oil in the FM5DB, and what should we look for?
2. How critical is the viscosity requirements of a small little transaxle, with small little gears? I worry that force is more concentrated on smaller gear faces, but allow that may not be a problem.

It would be pretty cool if Red Line Oil had a representative here on the forum to answer our questions.

Here's a thought - what if we test sample gear oils with Blackstone and post the results here. We could test the factory fill and a year's use of a replacement product. I still have the factory fill, and I have an account with Blackstone so I could refill with something and send off a sample to Blackstone for testing.

Just a thought. I hadn't really put much thought into my FM5DB gear oil. It works for me.